As the title states, I'd like to be able to deploy any staging sites to a specific staging server, or server of my choice.
100% is a great idea. Having a staging server also increases security and control over the development site. We could easily have the same SSH Key across both servers so they can talk back and forth from each other to transfer and update files.
I like the idea. Why?
- keeps individual server disk small (staging = 2X the size)
- You might want to have Xdebug and other dev tools on the staging server
Why are small servers good?
- VMs with smaller disks are cheaper. It's easy to scale only CPU+RAM separately
- Higher chance of getting a better CPU/$ VM
- Faster snapshots, full clone, resize, recovery, transfer to another region